Higgs Government Cuts Off Funding To La Francophonie Games

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2019 06:06 AM

The Higgs government has cut off funding to the 2021 Francophonie Games which casts an even bigger shadow over the future of the event.

GNB spokesperson Stephanie Bilodeau says the province made its last payment to the organizing committee in mid-December for a total of 930-thousand dollars.

Bilodeau says further funding has not been requested and the province understands the committee can still function.

Five board members resigned last month amid controversy over the skyrocketing cost from 17 million to 130 million dollars.

Moncton and Dieppe are to host the games but both cities won't contribute any more money.

MP Ginette Petitpas Taylor said it's up to the province to decide the future of the event.